Connect with us

NATIONAL NEWS

Terrorists have overwhelmed our Police – Osinbajo

The Leader News Online

Published

on

Terrorists have overwhelmed our Police – Osinbajo

… As more Police Stations come under attack in Imo

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has revealed that Nigeria policemen are overwhelmed by the super power of terrorists, who on daily basis destroy lives and property in the country.

The number two citizen stated this while admonishing the new Acting Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, after decorating him with his new rank, at State House Abuja, Wednesday April 7.
Osinbajo charged him to urgently deal with the multiple threats to law and order and public safety.

According to the Vice President, “The organization you are leading is one that is itself facing several challenges. Your officers work in extremely difficult conditions and some face the threat of super power by terrorists and hostile non-state actors while in the line of duty.”

He also charged him to rebuild the broken bridges of trust between the police and the public to regain the confidence of the citizenry.

“There is no question at all, that there is a lot to be done.

“Under your leadership, the police must rebuild some bridges of trust and regain the confidence of the citizens. “This is an on-going challenge that the Force and senior members of the police must take on as a responsibility. “They must continue to rebuild their trust with the public,” he said.

Osinbajo also charged him to implement the Community Policing Policy (CPP) which has already taken off as well as restore the dignity of the Force.

“Under your leadership, the Force must live upto the high standards of professional conduct and compliance with the rule of law.

“It must significantly improve the welfare and working conditions of its officers while rapidly scaling up its forensic, logistical and operational capacities to meet today’s challenges.

“You must stamp out the excesses and abuses and the culture of impunity demonstrated by some elements of the Force which provoked public outrage against the institution.”

Meanwhile, more police stations have been attacked by gunmen in Imo State barely 48 hours after the State’s Police Headquarters was assaulted.

The latest victim is the police station in Mbieri, Mbaitolu Local Government Area of Imo State where two police officers were injured in a gun battle with the hoodlums on Wednesday, April 7.

The Imo State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Orlando Ikeokwu, who confirmed the attack said, “Mbieri Divisional Police Headquarters was attacked, at about 23:30pm Wednesday, but successfully repelled, two officers were injured and presently receiving treatment. The Police Station was not also set ablaze. No officer missing or kidnapped please.”

Earlier on Tuesday April 6, bandits stormed the Ehime Mbano Divisional Police Headquarter at about 5:30pm, shooting sporadically for over an hour, setting some vehicles ablaze in the process.

Our reporter said people scampered to safety in all directions as the sound of sporadic gunshots rented the air. Businesses, markets and shops were quickly closed by the frightened owners who were scared stiff of sustaining gunshot injuries.

Traders at Oriendu, Orieagu, Ishinweke and Aba branch hurriedly closed shops and took cover in the bush. The newly constructed Area Command was immediately deserted as the security personnel received information on the gruesome attack at the Divisional Police Headquarters. Two branded Police Sienna vehicles were set ablaze by the hooded gunmen.

It should be recalled that the Ehime Mbano Divisional Police Headquarters is yet to overcome the #EndSARS protest when the place was looted and destroyed beyond repairs.

NATIONAL NEWS

Yoruba group raises alarm over plot to import violence into South-west

The Leader News Online

Published

on

Yoruba group raises alarm over plot to import violence into South-west

A coalition under the aegis of the Yoruba Appraisal Forum (YAF) Thursday called on the federal and state governments, the National Assembly as well as security agencies to take urgent steps to stop alleged plans by some people to launch series of attacks on security personnel in the South-west states.

The Yoruba group alleged that there were plans by some individuals and groups to smuggle into the South-west the type of wanton violence being inflicted on the people and security agents in the South-east by “unknown gunmen.”

The forum also alleged that it had uncovered plans by some so-called freedom fighters and secession agitators in the South-west “making efforts to replicate and inflict the same level of violence being visited on the hapless people of the South-East and South-South states on our peace-loving people in Yoruba land.”

The forum said the worsening insecurity in the South-east had become more worrisome to the people in the South-west because some unscrupulous elements had been making attempts to smuggle same level of violence into Yoruba land.

YAF, therefore, condemned the violence and killings in the South-east, saying plans by some persons and groups in the South-West to replicate such wanton violence and killings in Yoruba land should be “effectively nipped in the bud by the government through the police and other security agencies.”

YAF said this Thursday during a motorcade it organized in Ado-Ekiti, to kick-start its sensitization of the people of the South-West to the alleged evil plans by some individuals and groups to launch attacks on security agents and formations in the South-west.

Continue Reading

NATIONAL NEWS

Presidency not interested in fighting insurgency – PDP

The Leader News Online

Published

on

Presidency not interested in fighting insurgency – PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused the President Muhammdu Buhari administration of lack of interest in fighting the insurgency currently ravaging the country.

The party in a release Wednesday, referred to a recent statement by Minister of Information, Lai Mohummed to support its allegation.

It quoted the minister as saying that the Federal Government was not duty bound to prosecute kidnappers and bandits. This statement shows that the presidency has capitulated before terrorists, the party said.

The statement signed by PDP spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan read in part: “It is incredulous, that the presidency in its failure, is abdicating a responsibility exclusively vested on it by the 1999 Constitution (as amended) to operate all apparatus of national security, the police, military, paramilitary and all other armed services, to secure lives and property in all parts of the country.

Perhaps, President Buhari and his minister need to be tutored that the second schedule (Exclusive Legislative List) clearly vested the control of all apparatus of National Security on the Federal Government and not on the states.

“Item 2, 28, 45, 57 of the Exclusive List is clear in vesting the operation of the police, the military and other armed services, the control of arms and ammunition as well as criminal records among other statutory paraphernalia of national security on the Federal Government and not on the state,” said the PDP.

Continue Reading

NATIONAL NEWS

Gov Ortom blasts Buhari … Alleges president working for Fulani

The Leader News Online

Published

on

Gov Ortom blasts Buhari ... Alleges president working for Fulani

The Benue State governor, Samuel Ortom, on Tuesday told President Muhammadu Buhari to remove the toga of being president of Fulani herdsmen alone and be a president to all the over 250 ethnic groups in the country. This was just as he accused the president of working for the Fulani tribe to take over Nigeria.

Ortom made the allegation while reacting to the recent killing of residents in a fresh attack where suspected Fulani herdsmen invaded Abegana village, the host community to one of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camps in Benue State in the early hours of Tuesday and killed seven people, while several others were injured.

The governor said: “From what is happening, within the last two weeks, we have lost more than 70 people within the local governments of Makurdi, Guma, and Gwer West alone, in addition to what you are seeing here today.

“Many are in the hospital apart from the seven that died in the attack on the IDPs camp by these herdsmen militia.

“I want to say that we are being overstretched. Our patience and preaching of rule of law is being overstretched. You can see that the people are fed up. Mr. President must rise.

“He is the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the President of the over 250 ethnic nationalities in Nigeria. They voted him, we all voted him.

“Mr. President, you took an oath of office to secure the lives and property of the people. This is unacceptable, this cannot continue. Mr. President cannot continue to be aloof. Mr. President must rise to address the nation himself, not his aides.

“Mr. President must tell us where we are headed in this country. This is too much. We are being overstretched and this is not acceptable. The body language, the action and inaction of Mr. President show that he is only the President of Fulani people.

“I have warned over this. I have written to him and I have written to security agencies that Miyetti Allah anchored a meeting of Fulanis from 14 countries in Yola and threatened that unless we repeal the open grazing prohibition law, nobody would know peace. That they will kill, they will maim, they will rape and do all sorts of things and they have started doing it. And it is amazing that we are becoming a banana republic.

“If we have a President and Mr. President gives  an order to security agencies to shoot on sight whosoever is having AK-47, and then the Minister of Defence came out to say that you cannot shoot on sight, that those people should be prosecuted, then I ask, who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces?

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Like us on Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending